Monday, September 17, 2007

Morning Wood

Yeah, it's exactly like it sounds. Behold the conversation my 12-year-old son decided to have with me a few nights ago at his bedtime:

"MOM," he SCREAMED across the house, "I CAN'T FIND ANY SHORTS!"

"Son, you are wearing shorts." (They were boxer-briefs, which are like shorts, ya know. The new underwear that go halfway down the thigh).

"NUH-UH! THESE ARE MY UNDERWEAR!"

"Well, what's the difference? You are going to bed. What's the difference if you sleep in those or in gym shorts?"

This is where he comes into the living room, sits down across the room from me, sighs like he is having to be very patient with his mother (who, apparently just does not get it) and then he drops this bomb:

"Well, mom, this is probably going to scar you for life, but I'm going to tell you anyway. I'm 12 now and every morning I wake up with wood. If I wear gym shorts, no one will be able to tell, but if I just wear my underwear, it's really obvious, okay?"

My response was said with such speed it would have put any of those car commercial disclaimer-reader-guys to shame:
"No problem son, I'll make sure and wash all of your gym shorts tonight and keep some clean for you so that you have plenty of them to sleep in, now you better get your teeth brushed and get in bed, it's getting late..."

I'm still debating whether or not I'm scarred for life.

2 comments:

Max Coutinho said...

LOL LOL your son is great! Such a direct kid (that is so rare..); I like him already!

I think that you're probably scared for life...can you imagine, your baby boy is starting to have erections, being conscious of it...and he probably knows what he'll do with it soon! It is a nightmare for any parent!
I still remember my own mom: when my brother started having sex she was in denial for quite some time, she kept saying "he's still a baby!"...

I am glad you released yourself from the chains of religion (when it comes to sex, of course)!

Cheers!

charmingly ardent said...

Just to clarify, the above comment about religion is to do with a comment I left on one of Max's blogs about sex and religion...nothing to do with my son and his recent announcement. One of my friends pointed out that this was confusing to him, so I thought I would just explain a bit...