Wednesday, September 19, 2007

New Horse, No Name


Well, this is the latest in a long line of horses I've recently aquired. Actually not the very latest, because we brought a white one home yesterday about an hour after this one, but it was more of a sympathy purchase, so I'm not putting his picture up because he's sunburned and undernourished. We bathed him last night and started pouring the feed to him, so I think we'll see a whole new horse in a couple of months (the white one, I mean. Clearly, the black one is not sunburned or undernourished).
ANYWAY, the reason I've had so many horses lately is because my mare got a tendon injury early last year and she's not ever going to be ridable again, so we've decided just to raise mule babies out of her. Everything else I've bought to ride since then has been complete crap. Apparently, noone who is selling a horse finds even the most remote need to tell the truth. I find that completely deplorable considering these are very large animals that can hurt or kill you if they really want. Before this one, I bought a beautiful grey, was told he was everything I was looking for, rode him once and ended up on the ground, then had my husband ride him. Thankfully, he didn't end up on the ground, but it certainly wasn't for lack of the horse trying.
So, the above horse is SUPPOSED to be quiet, broke to ride, gentle, etc. etc. etc. We'll see.
Here's the deal, though, they called him "horse" before and I intend to come up with a proper name for him (if he gets to stick around), so if you have any suggestions, comment... Nothing like Bob or Spot or Blackie, though. Something really cool, maybe a foreign word that means something like SUPER GENTLE (he he he...)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marmalade. Had a dream, that's all I'm saying for now.

charmingly ardent said...

Marmalade? He's pretty cool and Marmalade isn't. Maybe we can come up with an Anagram for it or something.
I read that Artemus means Safe and Sound...thinking about that except that I'm afraid the hubby would call him Artie or something equally dorky...

Anonymous said...

Eh, Marmalade got a mention over at FMC...heh heh...