Monday, July 9, 2007

Farewell Joel...

Woe. Woe and sorrow.
I sat this morning trying to put my make-up on and watching Good Morning America while the whole troupe from the show, past and present, lamented the loss of their beloved movie critic, Joel Siegel.
Unaware that he had cancer, I was naturally surprised.
It was really a very nice show this morning. The reporters all telling their favorite stories about time spent with Joel. Actors and Directors calling in to share as well. I hunkered in my favorite recliner (those hidey holes in the arms are perfect for keeping my make-up in!) trying to apply eyeliner and keep the tears back at the same time.
It was that damned Diane Sawyer who caused it. As she started to sign off for a commercial, she lost her voice and began to cry (in a very classy Diane Sawyer type way) and I completely lost it. I cannot bear to see another human cry, let alone Diane Sawyer! Tears my heart out, you see.
I did not know much about Joel Siegel until this morning, but by all accounts he was an intelligent, positive, loving, giving person. A rarity, especially among the usual wolf-dog pack of Hollywood critics. It seemed a very well deserved send-off given by people he most certainly loved. Very nice.
Many many thoughts have whirled around my head today after watching this. One of them being, How does that Diane Sawyer cry while still looking so classy and collected?" I start to cry and my whole face goes into a rage of twitches fit to cause all manner of panic. And I can't talk when I'm crying. I sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. Good for her. That Diane Sawyer sure is uptown.
Another thing is that they talked about the fact that Joel's physician had suggested he go get a colonoscopy when he was 50. He waited until he was 53 and, although he lived for 12 more years with treatment, the doctor confirmed that if he had received the test a mere 3 years earlier, it would have saved his life. I find that very sad, especially considering what a kind, life-loving person he seemed to be. It's amazing that such a short period of time could cause such a difference in the outcome. Incredibly glum..
And finally, I think that the way the staff of GMA handled his sending off was perfect. Rather than sorrowfully mourn his loss, the show was dedicated to celebrating his life. What better send off could a person ask for? As far as I'm concerned, take my ashes and throw them someplace nice and then let the party begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abso-fucking-lutely! We should make a pact that whoever dies first, the other of us has to torch them and spread the ashes. I wish you had mentioned this yesterday so we could have made our pact. Hmm, no telling how long it's gonna be before we get together again....anyway, if you die first, I promise to hold a bonfire in your honor, with beer...and herbs...and stuff...yeah.